Thursday, October 23, 2008

An exciting and important week so far here. I've made the tough decision to leave the school, and China all together, and head to New Zealand to meet up with with my friend Tevon and join him in working on an organic farm until the end on November. I began to feel at the beginning of last week that things here were not going to work out for me long term; the training was a part of it, but mainly the mental exhaustion and frustration was too much to take. I leave the school tomorrow with Zije, the owner's wife, who will take me to an airport hotel in Wuyishan. On Saturday I will fly to Hong Kong, and then on Sunday to Auckland, where I will stay at a hostel until Tevon arrives on Friday. I should have more details on the farm within the next week. After the month at the farm, Tevon and I will travel to Christchurch to maintian our regularly scheduled programming (meeting up with Chris, Ben, Dante, my Dad and Graham). Thanks to everybody for your support through all of this. I will write again from Auckland.

4 comments:

Lila Burns said...

i think this is a good decision... if your eye was that intense already, i was afraid for what might happen to you later!!! raven has been letting me know what your plans were, cos i was "stressin" :] jk, i knew you'd be fine. but have fun in new zealand and don't forget to blogoasdhfoajsdof

more pictures!

Unknown said...

I'm glad the travel arrangements all worked out. A new and improved adventure begins! Enjoy the trip and new county. Love, Dad

Jim Payne said...

Sorry to hear you decided to throw in the towel. I enjoyed reading about your adventures and trials. Best of luck in your new endeavors.

Unknown said...

Hi Matt - I am glad to hear you are going to be joining Tevon. Be careful he may work you as hard on the farm as you worked in China, but he most likely won't give you a black eye! We missed you at the pancake breakfast today. Tev, Dante, and Ben made a ton of pancakes and your dad and 60 other folks attended helping to send them off to NZ. I look forward to hearing about your time on the farm. Tell tev to blog when you can. Have a great time in NZ, Sharon