Sunday, October 19, 2008

Week two in the bag. Had a hard last three days of the training week as well; we ended us sparring on Friday, where only two of us wanted to/could spar, so I was matched up against Russell, who outweighs me 95 to 72 kilograms. We had a good match, but I ended the day with a large black eye and a left thigh disabled from leg kicks; in the end, no hard feelings and a good learning experience, but Russell hyperextended his elbow during the match and won't be able to use it fully for a while. Injuries aside, it was a very tough week mentally and I needed all the patience I could muster to pull through.

The weekend, on the other hand, was very fun. On Friday we all headed into Taining and went to a great barbecue place to eat. Two hours later, stuffed with bacon rolls, duck hearts, chicken skewers and rice flaps we got the bill: 27 yuan each, about four dollars. By far the best food deal of my life. The next day was spent almost entirely in two places: the coffee shop near the hotel where we stayed (from one until six) and back to the barbecue from eight until two. I stayed the night in town again after the barbecue and came back today mid-afternoon, where I was beckoned into the kitchen to help make dumplings with Zije, the owner's wife, and the cooking staff. Simple dough with a vegetable filling; very satisfying eating your own cooking. Tomorrow the pain starts again.

No comments: